June 29, 2012

Coconut Cake with Lemon Frosting




Coconut and lemon is a summery combination! It is a lovely cake, not too sweet and the lemon frosting adds a nice freshness. Next time though, I will add more coconut and use less flour as I would prefer it to be more coconut flavoured. This cake has no WOW factor to it, but it’s very enjoyable, and subtle in it’s flavours and great for your afternoon tea or coffee. You don’t always want an explosion of flavours, sometimes you like it simple and plain.





Coconut Cake with Lemon Frosting
150 grams melted butter
2 eggs
3 dl sugar (300ml)
½ dl desiccated coconut (50ml)
4 ½ dl flour (450ml)
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ dl milk (150ml)

1 lemon, zest and juice
Icing sugar until frosting has the desired texture
Desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top of the cake


Preheat oven at 175 degrees C.

Melt the butter. Mix egg and sugar until fluffy. Combine coconut, flour, baking powder in a separate bowl and add along with melted butter and milk to egg mixture. Pour into a greased and floured (I used desiccated coconut) baking tin, about 20 cm. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until a stick comes out clean. Let the cake cool and meanwhile prepare the frosting.

Combine zest and juice from 1 lemon with icing sugar until your have the desired texture.  I used juice from one large lemon and therefore needed about 5 dl (500ml) of icing sugar. I ended up with a lot of frosting! But I poured it all over the cake once it had cooled down. I thought it would be nice with a lot of frosting.


Don't forget to link up your contribution to My Sweet Party . The theme this month is Summer Fruits.

This is contributed to Foodie Friday and Sweets for Saturday.
ENJOY!




Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and lemon and coconut are great ingredients! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the outer layer shown fully coconut like ice spread on Himalaya's i like this very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks amazing!! The frosting is so inviting! I have to figure out the conversions and make your cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got a conversions page on my site which I hope helps. Let me know what you thought about the cake if you make it!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this recipe! What a great combo of flavors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was very light and fresh, great for summer:-)

      Delete
  5. This recipe will definitely be a hit in my household. We love coconut, either it's coconut water, coconut sugar or coconut oil, we love it all. So there's no doubt we're certainly gonna love this coconut cake and with a lemon frosting this will explode on our mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully light cake. It looks so perfect, and what a combination :) delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna